Tuesday, January 22, 2008

Webcam problems

I recently created a way to embed the webcam (different server) through what will be the ROV Labs website, but it's not displaying properly on every system. Currently I'm using the mpeg-4 compression option embedded in the webcam, and streaming through a dummy file, but some versions of windows quicktime won't view it, and linux has no native quicktime applications.

To fix this I'm going to look into writing my own ajax query that will call a php script to pull a new image every 5 seconds. This will cause more load issues on the server, but it should allieviate concerns I have about having too many connections directly to the webcam.

Along with connections to the webcam, I plan to only show the 'Live feed" to those in the queue (last 10,and the driver) to save on additional bandwidth, as well as keeping the direct IP of the camera as obfuscated as possible.

You MIGHT be able to see the webcam here.

No comments: